Reports to: General Manager
Location: Houston, TX
Travel: Minimum 35%
Salary range: Negotiable based on education and experience
Status: Full-time, Not overtime eligible
Shepard Exposition Services is seeking a Material Handling Supervisor to supervise freight operation and dock labor at show site, and all facilities in which the company produces events. Plans for assigned shows including the labor and equipment, job assignments of qualified labor, hours of operation, paperwork procedures, timekeeping and job cost. Handle show site freight operation by efficiently performing the following duties personally or by supervising freight leads.
Essential Job Duties:
- Supervise dock labor at show site by assigning qualified personnel to perform work
- Supervise dock operation to ensure a safe work environment
- Assist with the training of dock labor
- Communicate with decorating operations and account executive on move in and move out schedule of each show
- Interact with facility manager for assigned show and ensure that all facility rules and regulations are followed
- Work with in-house material receiving supervisor/lead/foreman to move warehouse freight to show site.
- Determine needs and request equipment, tools, and labor required to produce show
- Ensure that all paperwork procedures are followed as outlined in the procedure manual
- Ensure job cost is kept to a minimum without sacrificing service to customer
- Ensure the location of all rigging and machinery; order and supervise all drivers and machine operators and related equipment such as cranes and large capacity forklifts
- Conduct safety & service meetings at show site
- Properly analyze and explain invoices to exhibitors and collect all monies due; aid CSR’s in collecting disputed invoices
- Project labor and analyze labor budgeted using the labor budgeting
- Produce accurate payroll forms, timecards, or timekeeping system for labor worked on shows
- Complete post show recap after show is completed
- Professionally interact with show staff and employees to provide the best possible service
- Contact exhibitors regarding shortages, damages, or re-routes on outbound shipment
- Ensure all equipment is returned from show site to warehouse
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Two or more years of industry experience and supervisory experience preferred
- Prior experience working with unions and managing labor relations
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write reports and correspondence
- Must possess critical thinking, sound reasoning, and decision-making in unclear situations
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts
- Must be able to quote prices, schedule staff, and providing excellent customer service
- Must be familiar with current material handling rates, show rules and regulations, association requirements, and pertinent information to show
- Experience with computer and web-based systems and programs like Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills and ability to communicate with all levels in the organization
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact appropriately with co-workers and customers
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful, and time-sensitive environment
- Must be able to pass an MVR screen
- College degree preferred
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; drive, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Frequent periods of sitting, standing and walking. Periodic bending & stooping, kneeling, squatting and crouching, crawling, reaching, twisting and carrying, pushing, pulling and lifting weight amounts of 25 lbs. or less. Regular and frequent, repetitive hand motion and grasping.
***Shepard Exposition Services is a DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE and requires pre-employment drug and background screenings.
Our Full-Time employees enjoy a wide array of benefits including Health, 401k, ESOP, Supplementary Life Insurance & Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Corporate discounts and more. Shepard is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) company and offers excellent pay and benefits. Our company core values and passionate culture set us apart in our industry in the positive way we treat our customers and each other.
Click the “apply” button to be redirected to The Shepard Expositions job application portal. No phone calls, emails or faxes accepted. Qualified candidates will be contacted if selected based on meeting the job and experience requirements.
To all recruitment agencies:
Shepard Exposition Services does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or hiring managers. Shepard Exposition Services is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.